Thursday, March 5, 2015

Salton Sea, the Disappearing Sea

In the mid-1960s I camped on a beautiful beach in the Salton Sea.   I have wonderful memories of this camping trip where I learned how to water ski.  These memories include the bright sunlight, clear blue sparkling water, clean sandy beaches, bonfires, good company and good times.  

Fast forward to 2010 and another trip to the Salton Sea.  This time it was a trip to participate in a walk in different areas of the Sea with an environmentalist to learn about the history, changes and (hopefully) future of the Sea.  This was my first visit after 40+ years and I have a hard time describing the sadness I felt that day.  The contrast was just too much.  I found myself thinking of my visit years ago, memories of  clear blue sparkling water, and had a hard time comparing that with the dull color of the water today, no boats, no sandy beaches, left me with a feeling of sadness.

I've since had a few photography workshops and visits on my own to explore.  As I pulled up to a beach at the last workshop, I was again stunned by the bleakness of what I was seeing.  My first thoughts were "it's disappearing."    And it is.

When I was working on my photographs at home, it seemed appropriate to look at them with a sepia treatment.  Here are three of my photos from my last trip to the Disappearing Sea.





3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post, Judy, and seeing your photos. And you're right, how sad to see the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written story, and your words are just perfect for the images you created. You're right about the sepia treatment. I'm getting a feeling of fading memories, and the monochromatic sepia treatment depicts the "fading" concept well, don't you think? Such a treatment removes any distractions color might create and lets the concept of dryness, sun-seared landscape, and slow death come through. What a well-done photo essay.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!