Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Back in my garden again ...

I was hosing things down tonight after the hot day and was surprised to see this little guy in my garden.
Praying mantis 















Also found in my garden is the Opuntia cactus.  Stay away from it, just moving the small rocks away from it (to look for the label) gave me small cactus spines in my fingers!  



Opuntia basiliaris, UCR Botanical Gardens
The Opuntia is also known as a beavertail cactus.  My sister gave this to me when I first moved in.  I love the heart-shaped cactus and the color!   Thanks Carole!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Terrific photos! And I love how the praying mantis seems to have the same purplish/magenta colors as the flowers. Great heart-shaped cactus pads, too. What a special garden. You're a lucky gal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carol for commenting! I'm thinking the praying mantis color is due to the reflection from the plant. Not sure, need to research this somehow. It has become a special garden for me, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that top photograph Judy. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!